Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Questions from You

Do you have to be on medications for the rest of your life?

The short answer is Yes. I always make sure I pack my medications in two different suitcases when I travel. If I skip a dosage, I would probably know right away as the pace of my thoughts will pick up at night and I am unable to fall asleep. Without a night of sleep, my heart will beat faster and I am a little bit more emotional and neurotic the next day. But as soon as I take my medications, all will go back to normal and I am myself again.

I have developed a dependency on my medications, perhaps you can compare that to an addict who cannot live without their drugs. However, I would define mine as healthy and normal. Just like someone who is born with type I diabetes, they need to rely on Insulin for the rest of their life. Having a bipolar disorder is innate and I need to rely on something extra to keep me balanced and functional. But unlike someone who has diabetes, they have to watch what they eat and change their lifestyle accordingly, when I stay on my medications, my life is perfectly normal. Right now, I am on a minimal dosage, which doesn't give me any side effects. But as to the long term consequences, I am not worry about it at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment